Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

11 February 2011

Why do I go on about nice patients?

I guess they're not that rare, though in the middle of the city in the party zone it can be rare to have a run such as we have had.
Both day shifts nice pts, but will it continue?

27F - Gas flare-up on the domestic stove top. Same name as my Mum which is rare in itself as I have never in forty plus years met one. There she is in her undies in the shower and in walks this hairy Ambo, with grace and dignity we protect her modesty while she is centered on her injury. We hold an honoured position in society with such trust of our pts and we should never forget it.
Her burns were minor and she needed obs for any later airway development only.

90M - Assist off the floor and then duel with his rapier wit while I assessed him. He was amazing with the content of his conversation and humour from his younger days to current events. Left at home safe.

80F - Syncope, has only been on dialysis for four weeks (last was this morning) whilst also having her BP meds changed three days ago. When it failed to respond to posture we took a trip to hospital.

82F - As bad a case of angioedema as I've every seen. The cause is unknown and she was in hospital five days ago with same and the month before spent four days in ICU tubed nasally because of the size of her tounge. I wasn't happy with the lack of response to my adrenaline treatment, I gave her three IMIs with seemingly nil effect where an oral antihistamine and steroid in hospital had a very quick response.

36F - Vomiting but I think her hypotension came first.

And thus we finished another shift without verbal or physical abuse or manipulation and having had the pleasure to help each pt.

See you at the big One.

Taz

No comments: