Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

02 March 2009

Dear Mincer,

Back on the 25th of April 2008 I wrote a post about how I had received an Army medal and a brief description of why I got it for my time in the Army Band and also listed my attendances at ANZAC day marches etc.

I don't do that anymore.
I'm not in a band,
I don't march.
I never picked up a weapon.
I never left the shores of Australia.
It was peace time.
I played a tuba.
I may attend ANZAC day marches now either as a Paramedic or as a watcher.
I would not feel at ease marching with just that medal, I would feel a fraud.

I currently put my life on the line every day at work, it's not an immediate risk like getting shot or blown up but as any ambo knows we are exposed to potential life threatening diseases, infection, trauma in uncontrolled environments all the time.

It is part of our job.
We try to minimise the risks.
We are not looking for any special recognition, it's our job.

I welcome your comments as a clear indicator of the values our military forces went to war to protect (freedom of speech, liberty).
I ask that you respect my posting and position as part of those values.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: