Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

30 November 2010

Social Media and the Medical Profession!

This sounds interesting doesn't it?

Most of us long term bloggers have spent plenty of time considering the possible ramifications of our posts on others and our careers early on in our blogging history.

I used the standards I observed in other's blogs when I first started.
I also reviewed these with my own personal beliefs of integrity and confidentiality.
I got criticism, some from peers, none of whom had the guts to put their name to the comments.
I reviewed my standards with the nine recognised patient identifiers used by the my health dept.

Several of my on-line blogger friends have stopped or greatly reduced their posting because of pressure either direct or veiled from peers and employers.
I was ordered to a meeting scheduled with management about my blog.
Two days later it was cancelled without reason and not rescheduled, I have always assumed that maybe they had actually read it after the secret squirrel gang had complained.

So it was with great interest that I read this document forwarded by an associate from the Australian College of Ambulance Professionals (ACAP)
Social Media and the Medical Profession and watch the YouTube film and open the pdf lower on the page.


Yes it's a long read but thought provoking and insightful so I recommend it to you even if your from overseas.

I conducted the Google test suggested to see how much information is out there on me (because ego is not a dirty word{Shyhooks circa 1975})

With my real name in full, nothing in the top 50 of 45,000 hits.
Christian and Surname only, 46th listing in top 50 of 308,000 hits.
With Taz, 45 of the top 50 of 37,700 hits.
Taz the ambo only got 40 of the top 50 in 131,000 hits.

Only one of any of these was about Facebook, the rest were blog related or news articles

Enjoy.



See you at the big One.

Taz

1 comment:

PP Author said...

It's frustrating that people that feel the need to complain or accuse the blogger of violating privacy/confidentiality always take the anonymous route.

Personally, I ignore anything negative that is posted anonymously. If someone doesn't feel strongly enough or sure enough to put their name to their words, I don't bother with it!