Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

02 December 2008

We met a nice lady last night.

She had lived a long life (ninety seven years in fact).
Was as sharp as a tack.
I met her Niece and Grandniece too.

She smiled a cheeky grin when I scooped her in my arms to place her on the stretcher.
She gave me a warm smile as I stroked her hair into place while I put the seat belts on.

Her family rushed to keep up with me as I got her out of the home and into my ambulance.
The nursing home staff chased after me with the med chart and her details.

Padawan had picked up that I took over the job and then re-turned it to him while I drove.
She got the smoothest, fastest lights flashing drive of her life.

They, the team where waiting for us to arrive (I called ahead).
I did the handover, Padawan still wasn't sure of why I took over (he's not supposed to yet, that's for me to teach).
I lingered in the Resucitation Bay, helping where I could, listening to what I could, to learn.

I was there while the doctor explained that there may have been reversible causes for her heart racing and then dangerously slowing.
I listened as he explained that there also may not be any cure. I had touched on that in the car.

She had been chatting to her nurse as I was on my way back to the hospital with my next patient and just went quiet and everything just stopped.
There was no pain.
She was ready.
It was time.

I'm glad I had been involved, I believe that I had made a positive difference, I brought a smile and pleasure to my patient, I had selected the right hospital with the right staff attitude and I believe we all did good.


Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: