Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

10 December 2008

Well really!

After five years in the job you do get hit by the odd flailing limb and such but this was a direct attack!

Using minimal force to restrain a patient that I had scheduled under the NSW Mental Health Act 2007, I was told that they would now be compliant and could I just loosen my hold so they could re-position on the stretcher.

Sounded reasonable, and the arm moved, aim was taken and even though I pulled back they still landed a cheap shot right on the end of my chin.

I was stunned not by the blow but by the deliberateness of the action.

My padawan and several staff were all witnesses and very concerned for my well being, thank you to them all.

While I brushed off an offer to be assessed by the doctors, but I remembered that it is important to document all such attacks on health staff even the unfortunate contacts with struggling patients so I have now got a medical record at our hospital even if most staff don't recognise my real name and Taz the Ambo.

Anyhow, the District Officer was called, I took the forty odd minutes to complete the incident paperwork and thankfully I returned to the job I love with no injury and only pity for the poor troubled patient who attacked a health care worker.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: