Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

06 January 2010

Lucky me.

As is well documented in this blog I ride a bicycle to and from work as well as for most of my local travel.

I've been experiencing what felt like punctures in my rear wheel, a wobbly sensation, but it has been fully inflated.

During the week I did an inspection and found the gear assembly on the rear wheel had about two mm movement.

Being told by other riders that it was my 'gear cassette' and may only need tightening I continued to ride for the remainder of my shifts.

Yesterday I dropped it off at my bike shop, Renegade Cycles in Lane Cove and collected it today after my normal visit to the blood bank for plasma/platelets.

When they pulled the rear wheel off to inspect the cassette for any damage the rear axle fell out,,,,, in two pieces!

The rear hub, cassette and frame had been keeping in somehow but just think how lucky I have been. I can reach 40kph or more on my way home and what would have happened at that speed.

Lucky I guess. Well it's fixed now and I can't wait to go for a ride.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: