Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

01 August 2011

Two Emergency Jobs from Nine!

So my partner for the next two shifts only, doesn't show and that leaves me single and shafted away to another sector and station for the shift.
No biggy I know the area and my new partner's a cool dude and we worked well.

36F - C/o URQ abdo pain to good Samaritans in a hotel. Claims 20 x vomits and diarrhoea. Recent release from a correctional facility (still in prison greens) admits to meth use today. You know when someone's trying to convince you that their crazy and do odd stuff but check every now and then to make sure your watching? She didn't. After discussing with me the angels I see and the darkness I live near and Satan moving around the shore she was too busy talking to a spot 5 foot in front and 2 foot off the ground to notice any of us.

81F - A happy dementia pt lives at home with Hubby. Now for some reason or maybe none really she took her nightly tablets and then took his! There was nothing nasty in his meds and it was only one tablet, after a quick consultation with Poison Information I was happy for them to stay in the comfort of their own home.

53M - From a group home being discharged from hospital after a fall.
88F - Discharge back to her nursing home after treatment for skin tears.

46M - Conscious VT! His only medical condition is this busted heart, CABgs x 4, stents x 3, tricuspid and mitral valve surgery and now a random arrhythmia.

29M - Confirmed LOC by his words 'I woke up wondering how I got in the gutter' from a brawl but people are allowed after displaying competency and capacity (to receive, believe, retain and explain) to make bad decisions and while no obvious signs of injury were there that's why they need the imaging and neuro obs.

28M - A different brawl, right sided minor facial injuries.

28M - Same brawl as above, right sided minor facial injuries and concussion symptoms.

74M - Type one diabetic who's OD'd (accidentally) on his insulin, after I'd pumped enough sugar into him to make a dentist's convention proud & we got his GCS back I explained that while being at home with his lovely wife to watch over him would normally be acceptable after a simple hypo his was nothing like simple and would need to come to hospital to be observed and managed. Our range of treatment for diabetic emergencies is under 4.0mmol/L or over 17.0mmol/L, he was 1.5 on our arrival and the best I got was 2.2.
And that made him my second true emergency for the shift.



See you at the big One.

Taz

No comments: