Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

28 October 2008

Tracy's Passport!

I thought for Tracy's birthday this year I would give something more lasting and useful.

A Passport - in case we had the opportunity to travel we could and it's also a very useful identity document.

Bloody hell the hoops we are having to jump.

Tracy was born overseas, in a British Army hospital and came to Australia thirty odd years ago on her parents passport when they emigrated.

She has born a son who has been involved in the military also, she has worked and paid taxes been a model citizen.

We applied for and received a marriage license.
She has applied for and received her Australian Citizenship.
And we have today had a very unsatisfactory interview at the post office with a mildly offensive and condescending little man who became fixated on the fact that her birth name is different to her current name even though we had the supporting documents to support the change.

When a women take her husbands name, as Tracy did, the only thing you need is the Marriage Certificate to change all her other official identity forms, - Drivers license, Bank statements, Electoral role.

But little dude down at the Post office could not get past 'but her names different'. Yes it was once and now the only thing that shows her maiden name is the birth certificate.

God it was frustrating. So much show that I scooped all the paperwork off the counter, thanked him for his time and told him we would be going to another post office.

No one will ever know who he is,
He will never read this,

But I feel better for the spray anyway.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

2 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Bureaucrats...I have had immigration issues myself, so sympathise...

Anonymous said...

I totally sympathise with your predicament. I changed my name by Deed Poll many years ago and received a new passport under new name. When it came to renew the passport I had similar problem with shortman PO syndome Dude. Good luck with it Taz. See you in the plant room soon. From your Probie :)