Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

13 January 2009

Community Project.

Traffic Offenders Intervention Program.

The Police Community Youth Club (PCYC) run this program as part of the court proceedings for people who have run foul of the Law and been caught committing an offence like exceeding 0.05 blood alcohol, speeding or some other Road Traffic offence.

The program runs for eight weeks and participants are required to attend weekly sessions conducted by presenters from agencies that are involved with traffic offences such as insurance companies, road safety councils, Fire, Police, Rescue and Ambulance.

At the end of each session they are given an assignment to complete and return the next week. Failure to attend is passed on to their legal council, police, the courts or probation officers so it is real life stuff.

I have a good background in public presentation thanks to the old work place and thought that this was a good program to become involved in so I applied through the Ambulance Media Department late last year and was accepted.

I received my presentation pack of a DVD and script before Christmas and did my first one tonight.

I have two hours to talk about the causes of accidents, show some television road safety ads as well as some real footage of accidents as well as throwing them stats about risk taking and high risk groups. The group was of a good mix 25 to 50 yrs, male and female and looked to cover all social backgrounds.

It went well, most referring to the note was for the stats, a few war stories thrown in and try to make them understand that although all Emergency Service members attend such incidents as part of our normal work it does have an effect on us as well as the greater community with families, friends and the general community who may be witnesses to the incident.

I left feeling that I had added to the greater good and appeared to be well received by all the attendants. Time I guess will tell.

Weather forecast has my two day shifts up in the low 30's Celsius, hot.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: