Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

25 April 2008

Lest We Forget

ANZAC Day 2008, From age 15 for ten years I attended the Hobart parade as part of the Army Band. Then my hips started to play up on me and I was discharged because of my decreased physical ability. In the next twelve years I sporadically attended ANZAC day marches as the Drum Major of the Hobart City Band, Glenorchy City Concert Brass and then Derwent Valley Concert.

Last year I received my one and only military medal, Australian Defence Medal, recognition of the time in the Sixth Military District Band/Australian Army Band - Tasmania, and I don't have anyone to wear it with.
Still it looks nice in the box.




Maybe I'll wear it someday?


Taz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were so proud of being in the Army and of being a recipient of a medal then you would know and be at an Anzac ceremony each year proudly displaying the reward which recognizes your service and sacrifice for country. Maybe you are not deserving?

Tracy said...

Taz was in the Army Reserves Band for 8.5 years, that's voluntary. He is deserving, he gave everything to that band, as well as 2 other bands at the same time. He has been involved in such community service his whole life and therefore YES he is deserving of his medal. I should know, I have known him for 23 years. Yes I am married to him so maybe I am biased but my father was a soldier his entire life and let me tell you we are more than aware how proud someone who has served their country should be. My mother now wears my father's medals every ANZAC day. I know that has nothing to do with Taz's medal but he does deserve it. I'm proud of him.