Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

30 December 2010

The punters are trying to behave.

In the lead up to NYE and all the celebrations that it will bring and with the school holidays there are a lot of people out of the city and there has really only been mundane work.

28M - Pedal cyclist, face planted over the handlebars. Not wearing a helmet, got a lecture from me and informed that it was a $120.00 fine if he'd been caught by Police. Looks like he has busted his nose but elected to go and see his LMO.

38M - Very localised right sided abdo pain. Family history of kidney stone and still has his appendix. Imaging and more tests needed to complete a diagnosis.

82M - A rigid, swollen and contused right calf. His is on wafarin and the pedal pulse on both feet was damn near impossible to find but they were both 2-3 second cap refill. I thought he had heamorrhaged ino the muscle. The triage and Drs liked that idea and kept he there.

73F - Near syncope inside a church. It wasn't stuffy, well ventilated and if anything cool but she took a very long time to appear anything like normal so we convinced her to come to hospital to get checked out and I have a suspicion that it was mostly behavioural she was just sounding a nervous Nellie.

39M - Bad sciatica. He's had it before. He had the usual medications at home to manage but it wasn't to be. I get sciatic pain when I over do it and I understand skeletal pain well from my many hip surgeries, he was struggling with the pain so we started him on some fentanyl (synthetic Morphine X80 stronger). Chronic pain sufferers wear fentanyl trans dermal patches that may deliver a 25mcg/hr dose. We deliver it intranasally like one of those decongestant sprays. 240mcg didn't make must difference, checking obs and observing the pt he took 540mcg to properly control the pain and he wasn't hypotensive or with a decreased resp rate he was bright and sharp and pain free. I don't like pain.

?30M - Addiction is hard to kick and many services are available but few succeed first time. This pt had managed to complete rehab and make it to the share house that assists to integrate the pts back into the real world where so many addicts fall back into the same ol' routine. Our pt had failed to resist and paid the ultimate price.

48M - Very minor injuries post a MVA, he just wanted them documented. Left with Police after treatment.

84M - Lives in a hostel/nursing home, is ambulant without any walking frames or sticks, had a fall four months ago was assessed in the ED and treated, had a fall last week but suffered no injuries. His LMO has put him on a diuretic (increases urine o/p and decreases blood volume and BP), increased his opiate patches (that may dialate blood vessels and decrease BP) has a 2 day old blood test showing his Hb to be 100 which is high for him with a known Hx of anaemia.
LMO thinks he needs to be assessed but for what, why can't his own qualified LMO do it rather than bumming him off to an over taxed ED? Where is the emergency with this pt?


As of yesterday we have managed to reduce our road death toll from last year by a significant number of 451 to 419, well done NSW motorists.

See you at the big One.

Taz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, My name is Tammy. I am a 52 year old career Paramedic and Paramedic Instructor who was put out on Disability in 2009. I live with my 22 year old son. We live in North Carolina. I write this in the hopes of getting help from kind, more fortunate people. I spent 20 years helping and teaching people as a Paramedic before I had to go out on Disability. I make $933.00 a month on Disability. My rent takes over half that. My electricity takes another $250.00. I make 'too much' to get Medicaid, so I have Medicare which still costs a lot for Doctor's visits and Medications....and I am on a lot. I am not eligible for food stamps because I make 'too much'. I have exhausted every avenue available to me and cannot find help anywhere. My son is desperately searching for a job, which is all we would need to make it, but has had no luck. No one is hiring. He has applied for work everywhere in our city, nearby cities, and online. It's just impossible in this economy to find a job.
I am asking for ANY donations anyone could make. I am trying to get enough money to pay my rent up a few months in advance so that we can eat and get my medications until my son can find employment. Any amount that anyone can make would be a blessing and greatly appreciated!! I am not used to asking strangers for help, and this is very hard for me to do, but I am desperate. I have no family that can help me financially, and the Government will do nothing for me beyond my Disability check...which I worked very hard for all my life.

Please, please help me if you can...any amount will help.

Please mail any donation to:

Tammy Peaden

2509 Charles Blvd., Apt. 72

Greenville, NC

27858

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please pass this along to anyone that might want to help me...Thank you!