Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

04 July 2009

I've been reading.

Running through the changes to our protocols and pharmacology's I have also discovered a few articles that I hadn't read yet.

'The ABC of community emergency care: 2 The system of assessment and care of the primary survey positive patient.' Wardrope & Mackenzie, EMJ online.

'Protocol Stressing Uninterrupted Compressions can improve survival after out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest' Busko, heartwire.

'Defibrillation and Cardioversion' Unknown, actually this one is a transcript of a lecture, interesting when you read it the right way.

'Practice Management Guidelines for Pre-Hospital Fluid Resuscitation in the Injuried Patient',
East Practice Parameter Workgroup for Pre-Hospital Fluid Resuscitation,
Cotton,Collier, Khetarpal, et al

Now here is a point that I wouldn't mind getting some feedback from you my readers.

Uninterrupted compressions?
I'm very happy with what I have read and understand the processes, I have seen the ultrasound video showing the flow of blood through the chambers illustrating the five-ten compressions required to get the flow back to what it was before compressions were interrupted.

So why do some clinicians who can put ETs in want me to stop life-saving procedures (compressions) so they can stick a tube down a dead persons throat?

Alright that is a bit harsh but you understand what I'm asking.

Does it really matter how good an airway you have if the hearts not beating?

And yes I also have some 'gun' intubators who can do it on the floor with their legs tucked under the pts bed while compressions continue uninterrupted!

My page awaits your submissions.

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: