Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

26 May 2008

Synopsis of the last three nights

On our first night we opened our account with a visit to a lovely old couple that live local to the hospital and whom I have visited many times since I was a probationer myself at Paddington.

The husband had walked up to the hospital to tell them that the wife had suffered a fall and could they help.

Triage called the ambulance.

They live in an terrace house with very poor access due to the quantity of pot plants they have on the front steps. The poor old luv had taken a fall in the doorway between the dining room and kitchen and couldn't get up and was C/o hip pain. I know she is a tough ol' bird so I got to with the analgesia and then with good planning we got her out.

Later that night I got the confirmation that she had done the NOF that I had suspected, she's 89 and funny enough, she looked the best I've seen her look in years, really healthy so this is a big setback.

There after it was the run of the mill stuff until an early morning police special, male assaulted.
It was in an unusual location for that kind of thing, residential, no parks, no pubs, no reason to be there unless you lived there, upwardly mobile people.

Nice bloke, 28'ish, walking home from a pub a couple of klm away when some teenagers also on the street asked if he had any smokes. He did, he shared and then they bashed him. No LOC he got up and continued to walk the bit extra to get home and then he rang the Police and us.

3cm Lac from the right lateral canthus that revealed the zygomatic arch, extensive sub-conjunctival haemorrhage, constriction of the right pupil and reduction of visual acuity.

He got a 2 second assessment from me at the door of the apartment and came straight to the car. A fresh bandage, some metoclopramide and a bat phone to the receiving to have a team waiting, ?? le Forte fractures possible intercranial haemorrhage.

Poor bugger, a really nice bloke, I do believe his story that he didn't give any cause to be bashed. A lot of them you know there must have been something they said or did to get in the fight.

Second night was the regular saturday night Sydney work. While there was some good work about my partner and I didn't seem to be in the right palce to jump the jobs.

But we did respond to a 23 y/o female unconscious who was having a bad trip after a few pills. the MDMA was really working her over, two rather large hotel security guysand I struggled to carry her out of the hotel she had walked into and then I had to jury rig some kind of restraint to keep her on the stretcher.

Now here's a point to ponder for the ASNSW people, can/should we use MRDs like posey restraints for pts that are not mental health. We use the posey's without any training??????

Anyway we waited for so long at hospital that the MDMA wore off and my partner got to see the change from the pt that she didn't want to be in the back with to this rational ordinary person.

Last night on the overtime at my old station, a steady night, a couple of police jobs that were not the usual crap that we go to and there were even a few sick persons that did require our attention and I was on the big bucks anyway so I'm not complaining about not really gettting any down time on my third night shift.

But I am buggered now, Tracy, Christopher and I have been and seen the new Indiana Jones movie. A great piece of adventure film and true to the other three, but I'm tired now so as always,,


Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: