Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

08 June 2008

A nice reminder.

Greetings all,
as I have posted previously, I ride my bike to and from work. At this time of year that is, for day shifts, in the dark. I wear if you work in my sector unusual eye wear at night to protect me from bodily fluids and these broke on my way to work on my first day so I have been looking for something similar to replace them.

Today while between jobs I had just checked out a local eye wear shop in a local mall and was making my way back to the vehicle when a woman chased after me and hailed me down.

Immediately I think that someone has fallen or needs my assistance as an ambulance officer, however she reminds me of an incident I responded to over four months ago in which she was the patient.

She had chased after me for several shops having spotted me and recognised me from her accident to thank me and my fellow officers for all that we had done at that time.

The result of a heavy fall, she had suffered a cerebral contusion but luckily no skull fracture. We had delivered her to our local hospital safely packaged with all precautions and during the rest of the night as we often found ourselves back there I, as is my habit would stop by her bedside to check on her.

This is what she remembered the most, even though she was aware that we were busy and returning often, that I had continued my concern towards her long after my involvement has been passed onto the much more qualified ministrations of the hospital staff.

I am aware that,
I am by design,
someone who would stand out in a crowd of my peers.
I am aware that some think it funny and others may not be so amused, again that is their opinion.
I still get comments about that snippet of the local reality show that was broadcast nationally on which I appeared.

This sometimes embarrasses me.

But if by being recognisable and professional and caring I enhance the public opinion of our health services and it's much taxed staff I don't give a stuff.

Bring it on!

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: