Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

05 June 2008

What ya' doing?

Nutin' much,

Got the bikes serviced as I said, new chain, brakes, gear alignment and a frame detail for mine and a first service for the wife's. Every time I walk out of Renegade Cycles in Lane Cove I leave with a sense of extreme satisfaction even though I've just dished out some serious money.

I'm just a suburban cyclist, I ride my 14-16ks to and from work but they take the time to talk about our mundane riding and seek our satisfaction, great store, fantastic customer service.

Did a nice hypo (hypoglycaemic or low blood sugar level) a while back. This guy was a GCS of 3 (breathing and has a pulse but not responsive). He and the friends had been out drinking and when they left one establishment he lay down on a bench and they just left him there thinking he was simply drunk.

As we know intoxicated like behaviour is a sign of a possible hypo. After an hour in the lovely rain we've been having for the last week they remembered that he was a diabetic and rang us. I commended them for that decision, not once did any of them say 'oh we were just going to take him home to sober up' or anything like that which could have been fatal. Really took me by surprise.

Anywho, the patient got the glucagon injection and responded as per protocol, all very nice, my partner hadn't seen a hypo that far down before and it was a good reminder about the reason and importance of taking a BGL on a patient. There is one facility here in Sydney that ALWAYS asks for the BGL on EVERY PATIENT and when their most typical presentation is considered, it's no wonder that they do!

Well that should do, I think I might go and hit the fartsack (bed).

Be careful out there and I'll see you at the Big One.

Taz

No comments: