Search the Australian National Library with Pandora

Oh, there you are!

26 November 2012

Keeping the future safe.

So those that visit regularly know that I bleat on about a couple of driver re-education courses that I participate in. Well one is for adults who have done wrong and been caught while the other is run by Rotary and is directed at High School students in the year that they are going to either get their learners or provisional licenses.

An interesting aside to this was, several month ago at a rural township where I was presenting the adult session one of the participants asked a few extra questions about the course and any version suitable for schools. I told him what I knew and directed him to Rotary and our Media Dept.

This kind of community education isn't core business and is not well supported by the Service. It's not discouraged either and the value to community is acknowledged but not much. If you want to do it, do it on your own time and I do.

Anywho this gent is directed back to me asking if I'll consider coming back to the town (5hr drive inland) and present to the year 10 and 11 students at the local High School and while he doesn't have any school aged children his business will cover my expenses!

Ambowife and I went there a week or so ago now.
Three lessons per day approx 180 young adults in total.
Impromptu lessons with the Teachers in the staff room at breaks about drugs, alcohol, driving & behaviour.
A counselling session with three young ladies who had known someone in a recent fatal car crash and with whom I had touched a very raw nerve but they sort me out to sit down and discuss it and when we all left that room the boxes of tissues stayed behind and they seemed to walk a little straighter and smiled more.

I couldn't tell you if he has paid me, I haven't looked and don't care.
I've been paid in full by the way we and our message were received.

We hoping to go back next year.  


Be Excellent to Each Other and See You at the Big One!

 Taz

No comments: